Knowing how to fix a leaking pipe can save you a lot of money in the long run. Detecting, determining the cause of the leak, and fixing it are vital skills as a homeowner. Below is a guide that will help you to fix water leaks in your home.
How Can Plumbers Detect Leaks?
Before anything else, detect the leaks that you want to fix. You can identify a water leak using a water meter:
- Shut off the water consumption in your house
- Use the water meter to see if the leak indicator is in motion. You can see it as a small dial that moves when the water is flowing. If it continues to run even after you have shut off the water in your house, then you have a pipe leak.
- You can also list down a meter reading and wait for at least two hours before taking another reading. Compare the two. If there is any change, there is a leak.
What Causes Pipes to Leak?
Here are the following causes of a pipe leak in your house:
- High water pressure – it causes damages to your pipes, making it burst
- Tree roots – if there are tiny cracks in your pipes, tree roots will find its way in and cause water leaks
- Corrosion – old households are still using copper piping that is easy to rust and results in pipe leaks
- Sudden temperature changes – extreme temperature changes make the pipe crack and the water leak
- Foundation shifts – shifting the foundation in your house also causes the pipes to disconnect that may result in water leaks
How Can You Fix a Leaking Pipe?
Follow these steps on how to fix a leaking pipe, allowing you to take control of your plumbing problems at home:
- Locate the leaking spot
- Turn off the main water and dig a trench near the area where the water is leaking
- Check for cracks and holes
- Then proceed to cut out the place of the pipe that leaks
- Clean off the old pipe.
- Start sanding the slip couplings and fit the new pipe into place
- Complete the task by heating both sides of the couplings
- You can weatherproof using a tar base insulator on the new section for durability
Detecting, knowing the possible causes, and fixing a leaking pipe may seem like a daunting task. You can try to stop the water leak at home if a DIY project can still set the water pipe. If not, it is best to call a professional plumber to help you solve a water leak.